The Hindu Newspaper Short Notes for Mains Exam
15 November 2018
- Inflationà biggest risks to India, even in the run-up to the 2019 general elections, were the U.S. dollar and oil prices.
- That risk has been reduced recently, but it was a huge risk when the U.S. was doing its sanctions thing.
- The earlier belief that shale oil production in the U.S. would kick in higher oil prices to effectively cap it had now been belied by a number of factors. “Shale production is going up, but it can not fill the gap left by the conventional oil industry
Case Study or Examples for Mains Exam
GS-3 or GS-1
- Around 18 lakh foreigners visited India on electronic visas till October 31 2018
- The highest number of visitors were from the U.K.,
- followed by the U.S., China , France and Germany
GS-1 or Ethics or Essay for Mains Exam
- U.S. Supreme Court upheld a Christian baker’s right to refuse to bake a cake for the wedding of a gay couple.
- U.K. Supreme Court held that a baker’s refusal to bake a cake with a message in support of gay marriage does not constitute unlawful discrimination (name – Ashers Bakery in Northern Ireland offered a customised cake service, which enabled customers to provide pictures or graphics that would be iced on a cake. Gareth Lee, a member of an LGBT organisation called Queer Space,).
- However, while undertaking its analysis on discrimination on the basis of political belief, the court went much too far in identifying the contours of the freedom of speech in this debate.