INDIA- GEOGRAPHICAL FEATURES
AND THEIR IMPACT ON HISTORY
( 11th Class Tamil Nadu Ancient History Book)
- The name Bharatavarsha or the land of Bharata was given to the whole country, after the name of an ancient tribe called the Bharatas.
- This kind of political unity was attained at least twice during the Mauryan and Gupta Empires.
- The unity of India was also recognized by foreigners. They first came into contact with the people living on the Sindhu or the Indus, and so they named the whole country after this river.
- The word Hind is derived from the Sanskrit term Sindhu, and in course of time the country came to be known as ‘India’ in Greek, and ‘Hind’ in Persian and Arabic languages.
- In the third century B.C., Prakrit language served as the lingua franca of the country. Throughout the major portion of India, Asoka’s inscriptions were written in the Prakrit language.